Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August in the City

7th and H unusually slow at lunch hour
Is it just me or did half of DC pack it in for the rest of August? I know that Congress and the bevy of interns are done at this point; to return in September and next summer, respectively. But what about everyone else? My favorite watering holes were conspicuously empty last weekend, the Metro has been a breeze (for me anyway) the last few mornings and there just doesn't seem to be a lot going on. I guess I should enjoy it. Soon enough, new college students will decend upon DC (the Target in Columbia Heights, specifically), high school students will be back on the morning bus routes and Congress will be back, doing, well, I'm sure not much more than they've done the rest of this epic failure of a Congressional term. Until then, I'm enjoying the spot of good weather whenever it comes our way, rooftop lounging at my friends' places and thinking about DC street festival season, which is right around the corner.