Monday, November 7, 2011

Everlasting Life Cafe: All Vegan, All Day


[UPDATE: Everlasting Life has changed ownership and changed its name to Woodlands Vegan Bistro. STILL VEGAN!]

Within the District there are four all-vegan restaurants, that I know of: Elizabeth's Gone Raw, Cafe Green, Soul Veg, and Everlasting Life Cafe. I try to support each of these establishments when I can. All are either bikeable from Mount Pleasant or a one-bus trip.

I have to give a huge shout out to Everlasting Life. The restaurant at 2928 Georgia Ave NW was remodeled in the last year and can now seat about 40 people. There is a stage in the front of the space facing Georgia Ave for performances and a new sleek juice bar, too. The original space did feature food service, but also housed a health food and retail store. In the remodeled  space, the focus is definitely on the food.

So many choices on the menu. And they're all vegan. I'm not a raw foods person, but they have, maybe, a dozen raw dishes, mostly in salad form. I recently had the "fried chick'n" sandwich (definitely not raw!). OMG. It was so, so good. Basically a breaded tofu fillet, fried crispy with L&T and sauce. I will be back for this sandwich again and again. In addition to the sandwiches they serve various, rotating main dishes and sides from the hot bar. Among my friends the macaroni & cheese and bbq tofu are the favorites. If you're vegetarian, vegan, or otherwise, give this place a look. A true pleaser!