Thursday, April 5, 2012

New York: National September 11 Memorial

Some of you may know that I ended up in DC as a consequence of having moved to New York only to have it not work out as planned. I relocated from Richmond to 133rd St on September 4, 2001. While working a temp job I had previously set up, I participated in the final interview for a great education non-profit the evening of September 10, 2001. The interview went well. I'll never know, but I like to think that in a parallel universe, I would have gotten the job and started a new life in the Apple.

That didn't happen. The education non-profit closed for a few days (their offices were in the financial district) and later decided not to fill any new positions, including the one I interviewed for. My lowly temp job for another non-profit soon ended as well. It's all fun and games until you can't get off of the island or have any visitors to the island and don't have a job on the island and can't get your new driver's license/ID after they took your old one and now they aren't handing out new ones and the National Guard is patrolling Madison Ave 24/7. Weird days.

I didn't end up going back to ground zero for a few years, well after I had already moved a few times and ended up in the District. I did visit the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial shortly after it opened and had wanted to see New York's memorial since it opened last year. I got the chance recently. The Museum is still under construction, but the memorial itself is complete.

Here are a few photos from the National September 11 Memorial in New York City.







 


National September 11 Memorial, New York from The 42 Bus on Vimeo.