Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Call for Better Public Art

I enjoyed the recent news that New York Avenue NW would get some rather bold public art on the blocks bordering the National Museum of Women in the Arts.

While we have monuments, memorials and museums, DC can use more colloquial, locally focused public art. And yes, I do consider many of the monuments art. The Washington Monument comes to mind. But, I guess I'm advocating for art on a smaller, neighborhood scale.

I've posted about the public art planned at 18th and Columbia (which was supposed to be installed before winter's end). That's a good start. And there are other examples of public art such as the balloon balls at the Vann Ness Metro station. Eh, looking for something more evocative. Any ideas?

Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love. So, Robert Indiana's LOVE statue at JFK Plaza (aka Love Park) makes perfect sense. It's only been there since 1976, but is associated world-wide with Philadelphia. What are we the city of? Can't say brotherly love. Ideas?
Maybe I'm forgetting other examples of local public art which already exist. If so, let me know. Memory isn't what it used to be.