Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Carriage House Opens in Adams Morgan


Carriage House opened last night in the old Tom Tom space in Adams Morgan. I stopped by for a drink at the bar. First impression: feels like a solid neighborhood bar and has definitely set itself apart from Tom Tom, in a good way. 

The menu is pretty standard with burgers/sandwiches, salads, various entrees, and sides. The bonus is that they have a wood fired pizza oven. That could end up being what sets Carriage House apart from the other bars on the strip. Two dishes appear totally vegetarian; the lentil burger and the ratatouille. The food and drink menus may change, but for now they offer a neat list of specialty cocktails, decent beers on tap + bottles/cans, wines and the usual suspects in harder spirits, including Bulleit Rye Whiskey (win).

Service was friendly and the ambiance was chill. Every staff I encountered told me their name, welcomed me and asked if I was taken care of. The place had more of a lounge feel, opposed to the the drunk dance party vibe of Tom Tom. This is a totally new establishment. The lone misstep --which I dismissed as opening night oversight-- the Nationals game was switched to the O's. Tsk tsk. In all seriousness though, I'll be back. Very cool spot. Good job by the owners and management.

Carriage House is located at 2333 18th Street NW.