Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reasons to Be Car Free in DC #5: Parking

Oh, about a year and a half ago I went to check out the Lot 33 condos on Euclid Street. I wasn't thinking of moving away from Mount Pleasant, just wanted to see what $400,000-$500,000 could get me and re-convince myself that I had laughably few options for owning anything at this point in my life. Lot 33 is on Euclid near 17th Street. You can walk to Malcolm X Park, Harris Teeter, the Euclid Market corner store, Adams Morgan, and U Street is just down the Hill. The unit I looked at had hard wood floors, granite splashbacks and killer views...of the apartments next door. I kid, it was very nice. A little sterile, but yea, all the newness a newness-liking buyer could ask for.

One great perk in particular, off street parking. Yes, you can pull in to the street level garage next to the front door. The entrance is right on Euclid Street. The condo units actually sit above the garage so the 1st floor is really the second level. Anyway, the spaces were for sale; for $40,000 a piece! Yes, the $450,000 unit I saw could be complete with a parking space for nearly 10% of the purchase price. I'm sure many of the cars in the spaces aren't even worth $40,000. My last car was worth, like 5% of that. Please, if anyone thinks an underground parking space is worth $40,000 please make the justification. I'm open to all opinions, convince me.

I was going to write about how hard it is to find a space on the street, but I think the forbidding price of secured parking counts too. It's reason #5 to be car free in DC.