Friday, April 18, 2014

Friday Fun Post: New Orleans

Two weeks ago I visited New Orleans for the first time. Since I'm from the south, I had lots of preconceived ideas --all positive-- about what life was like in this midsize city (pop. 379,000) with the outsized reputation. All the positives were confirmed. Awesome, friendly people as residents (with their own version of southern hospitality), a fantastic collection of diverse and distinct neighborhoods, crazy, engaging architecture, easily accessible public transit and yes, they know how to show you a good time. Did I mention I was there for WrestleMania XXX?

That's XXX as in the 30th iteration. WrestleMania has been on my to-do list since I was a kid. In some ways I'm still kind of child-like, but the difference between now and then is that I can pay for things like trips to WrestleMania. So, I did. And it was so worth it. Not sure I'd go again (questionable if any others would live up to this one), but I'm totally sold on New Orleans and I definitely want to return there for more food, more self guided walking tours (i.e. getting lost), more Mississippi River, and more Bourbon Street. Here's the best of what I saw, in photos.
Summary: Eat, Sleep, Break the Streak + YES! YES! YES!
French Quarter house and bicycle.
Quiet street with colorful houses.
The buses and streetcars meant I didn't need a rental car.
Streetcar tracks on the way to Carrollton neighborhood.
There were like, A LOT of 90s cover bands. This band played Ginuwine b/w Pearl Jam.
Not Miami.
The mighty Mississippi. Calm and beautiful.
Got to meet one of my heroes: Tia Torres of Villalobos Rescue Center. Much love.
Don't let anyone tell you can't get vegan food in NoLa. This place is the bomb.
And don't let anyone tell you can't get GREAT coffee service in NoLa...
French Quarter shopping district.
This place is just huge.
Sort of like a mini-Eastern Market except there are multiple booths selling alligator. To eat.
The Saint Louis Cathedral
Open container seems like a bad idea until you hang out on Bourbon St, where it just... works. Everyone was cool.


Loved this town.